Monday, August 16, 2010

From the Mouths of Statists

I was reading through some commentary regarding "The 24 Types of Authoritarian" cartoon parody - located on the blog site of the person who created the original cartoon being parodied. A long, drawn-out argument between liberals and libertarians ensued. I could pull material from the comments for a long time to come. But this little piece of heaven made me smile:

There’s also public roads, the fire department, the police department, garbagemen, the Post Office, the DMV, public transportation, and public schools, all of which I can logically assume you have benefited from at some point or another. These things do not pay for themselves. By living here, you have a responsibility to contribute, just as you would in any living situation.

Here, let me try:

There's also hammers, shoes, soccer balls, umbrellas, tires, and floor tile, all of which I can logically assume you have benefited from at some point or another. These things do not pay for themselves. By living here, you have a responsibility to contribute...

Imagine how cringe-worthy and stupid that would sound to most people if I walked around saying that out loud. Reflect on that for a second...

Now you know how I feel whenever a statist presents an argument like the aforementioned one.

No comments:

Post a Comment